Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Nutcracker: Spanish Dancer

spanish
This costume is one I did as a tribute to the studio I danced with as an adolescent; The Goleta Civic Ballet. They had the most wonderful Nutcracker! As aspiring dancers, all of us younger students would learn the principal parts in hope that someday we would get to play those roles. I moved on to jazz and modern dance before I had the opportunity, but part of me always wishes I could have danced those parts.

My absolute favorite was the Spanish Dancer. She danced an energetic, brisk allegro that ended with marvelous fouette turns. And it seemed like all the older dancers that I idolized danced this role at some point.

The bodice of this costume is very close to my inspiration, but I made it a tutu (the one that inspired it was a knee length, circle skirt). I am very happy with how it turned out- very impactful and a nice feeling of scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment