Friday, January 13, 2012

A Midsummer Night's Dream: Mustardseed

midsummer
As a child I was greatly influenced by Noel Streatfeild's book, Ballet Shoes. My favorite part came when the girls were cast in a production of A Midsummer Night's Dream as the fairies that accompany Oberon and Titania. When I met Clea, creating that moment became one of my aspirations...

I used an iridescent quilting cotton for the bodice and fusible web to attach the ribbons to the bodice. I sewed a tiny gold seed bead to the center of each flower. The tutu is made of yellow and green tulle.

I'm not going to lie, the process of attaching the ribbon to the bodice was a lot more difficult than I had anticipated. This is the type of thing that is actually easier on large scale costumes because you can just sew it on, but on this scale, sewing it down would have ruined the quality of the ribbon. I try this again later on velveteen (see my Swanhilda costume once I post it) and it is much easier the second time around!

No comments:

Post a Comment